Thursday, November 22, 2007

Yet Another Story of my Cab Encounter

If there's one Facebook Superlative that I should be nominated for, it should definitely be "Most Likely to Meet Weird Cab Drivers".. I have had countless encounters of the most bizzare cab drivers anyone can get and I'm gonna relate one more again...

Last week I had to run an event on Thursday so I was entitled to claim cab on 7pm the day before. So I stayed in the office till 7pm and called for a cab at 7pm sharp. I was told the cab would reach in 7-9 minutes, so I went downstairs with Noormie to wait for its arrival....

Waited.........
Waited..............
Waited......................

When it finally arrived, it was already 7.19pm (I checked the boarding time on the receipt after that).

The cab driver was extremely apologetic, saying he didn't expect it to take that long to get from Chinatown area to Shenton Way as it was jammed. I didn't get angry, as I could see that he was truly sorry for making me wait that long.

So this marks the beginning of another remarkable taxi ride.

Me: Uncle, Yishun Ave Three
Uncle: Huh, Yishun Ave What??
Me: Three
Uncle: Huh, Ave WHat??
Me: Three, Three... San!
Uncle: Orh~~~~ San... okok!

So he drove to the Chinatown area like all the other cabs would so that they can enter the tunnel and exit to CTE.. While in that area, it was quite jammed again so we were stuck there for long..

Uncle (in a mix of Singlish & Chinese): Just now ah, I took your call, then here jam until siao ah... Thats why I was so late. So many cars here dunch know why.. Super super jam ah... so many traffic lights.. (blahblahblahblahblah... and he repeated that same content for 5 times)

Finally, we managed to get through the jam and reached the tunnel area.. Surprisingly, uncle did not turn into the tunnel, which got me blurred

Me: Uncle, which way are you going by?
Uncle: Orh... in front (blahblah turn here turn there), den exit by Stevens Road and blahblah very fast one..

Thinking that he should know his way well, I didn't probe much.. and as we drive on, I saw Grand Copthorne and that means I was in Havelock road already. I was thinking this shouldn't be faster then the usual CTE which is a straight road all the way to Yishun..

Me: Uncle, how come we are here?
Uncle: Oh, you never drive by this way before ma? Many people like to use this way one leh!
Me: No leh, never before...
Uncle: Then which way do you go usually?
Me: CTE loh, although got jam but still vey fast one
Uncle: HUH! CTE?!? That's very far what.. Then after CTE which way you go?
Me: Huh.. after CTE reach liao ma
Uncle: Eh! You going WOODLANDS right??
Me: *exasperated already* Uncle! I told you Yishun leh!!
Uncle: Huh, I always thought it's Woodlands leh! That's why I go this way ma.. Aiyah, Sorry sorry! Just now that jam at Chinatown jam until i blur liao loh!!! Aiyah Sorry sorry, how come I make this kind of mistake.. 1st time leh! *starts beating his head*
Me:...........................................
Uncle: Aiyah, sorry sorry leh, in the end make you reach home even later..

*looks at the clock* (it's already around 7.40+pm...)

Me: So uncle, now can still go back Yishun way anot
Uncle: Can can... heng we discovered earlier... if not I really drive you to Woodlands liao...

So in the end........ I reach home passed 8pm.

I might have been faster if I took the train.

No comments: